- Federal-Provincial Environmental Impact Assessment Panel, proposed Kemess
North Mine, BC: Panel duty ended with submission of the Final Report in September
- Adjudication Committee, Mining & Sustainability Award, BC Department of Energy
and Mines, Mining Association of BC: 2007, 2008.
- Board of Directors, Mining Industry Human Resources Council, (1 of 7 Federallyfunded
- industry sector Councils ) 2007, 2008.
- B.C. Mining & Exploration Sector Human Resource Planning (HRP) Task Force, Mining Association of BC, Service Canada Agency, 2007, 2008.
- Advisory Committee, B.C.I.T. Mining Program, Vancouver, 1997 to date.
- Adjudication Committee, Mining and Sustainability Award, 2007, 2008, BC
- Department of Energy and Mines-Mining Association of BC.
- Board of Directors, Canadian Mining Innovation Council, elected 2007.
- Member, External Reference Group to the Assistant Deputy Minister, Natural
Resources Canada, 2007, 2008.
- Member, Canadian Business Ethics Research Network, 2008.
- Mining and Sustainability BC, Working Group, BC Department of Energy and
Department of Mining Engineering, Nottingham University, UK (Tutor, Earth Sciences,
Open University, UK)
Professor, Webster Chair in Mining Engineering
Director of Mining Engineering Program, 1983-1997
Department of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, McGill University, Canada
Professional Mining Engineering Experience
Employment at various mines: Canada (Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting Ltd), Sweden (Tuolluvaara AB), Portugal (Beralt Tin & Wolfram Ltd.), UK (Geevor Tin Mine, English China Clays Ltd).
Consultancy with various mining and related companies, including: INCO Ltd., Outokumpu Oy., Placer Dome Inc., Golder Associates, Ken Mathews Associates, Control Data Corp., Rio Tinto Ltd.
Academic services such as external examiner and consultant for Universities: CEAB, TUNS, UofA, Queens, Laurentian, Nottingham, Lulea, Aachen, Melbourne, Mining Education Australia.
Research collaboration with industry has included: Fording Coal Ltd., Highland Valley Copper Ltd., British Steel Corp., National Coal Board, INCO Ltd., Falconbridge Ltd, Noranda Ltd., Teck Cominco Ltd., AMEC Ltd., Suncor Ltd., Placer Dome Inc., CIL Ltd.
Research collaboration with other organizations has included: World Bank, NRCan, HRDC, MABC, APEGBC, QMA, CAMA, MMSD.
Awards and Distinctions
- Awarded Robert Hallbauer Chair in Mining and Sustainability at UBC, 2006.
- Elected a Member of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, 2007.
- Mining with Communities
- Mine-Mill Integration
- Workplace Safety
- Mining Innovation